This apple ginger cape is an autumnal twist on a classic cape cod (vodka cran) cocktail. With an apple ginger infused simple syrup, mixed with apple cider, cranberry juice and vodka, this is the perfect drink to kick off any holiday festivity!
The bright colors of this drink, the sweet flavor apple and kick of ginger will have you feeling the holiday cheer(s)!
What is a Cape Cod Cocktail?
A cape code is really just a vodka + cran with a splash of lime. There is something about the sweet tart cranberry juice, mixed with vodka and a squeeze of lime that is so refreshing. And simple!
Ingredients for Apple Ginger Cape Cod
- Vodka - we prefer Grey Goose
- Cranberry Juice - I like to use apple cranberry juice in this cocktail. It adds an additional apple flavor for extra fall vibes.
- Apple Cider - you can also use apple juice as a substitute
- Apple Ginger Simple Syrup - simple syrup infused with apples and ginger, see below for how to make this
How to make an Apple Ginger Simple Syrup?
Simple syrups are really that, super simple! Its just sugar and water that has been reduced to the consistency of a syrup!
But how to infuse the sugar with apple and ginger? Just add the flavors while its simmering/reducing. In this case, apple slices and ginger root slices (dry ginger powder will be too intense in this recipe!) are added to the sugar and water mixture as its simmering. Once the water has reduced by half, you should have a nice consistency for a simple syrup and you can remove it from the heat. After the syrup has cooled, remove the apple slices and ginger root. You can just strain the syrup into a jar.
Store the jarred simple syrup in the refrigerator. It can actually be stored for a few months! So its the perfect make ahead item for holiday parties!
You might also be interested in Cranberry Orange Gin & Tonic, Hard Cider Moscow Mules, White Winter Cosmo
Apple Ginger Cape Cod
Apple Ginger Cape Cod
- splash apple ginger simple syrup
- 2 ounces vodka
- 2 ounces cranberry apple juice cranberry juice will also work
- 1 ounce apple cider
Apple Ginger Simple Syrup
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 apple sliced
- 2 inches ginger root sliced
- fresh cranberries
- apple thinly sliced
Make the Apple Ginger Simple Syrup
- In a small sauce on medium heat, combine all of the ingredients for the simple syrup. Let it simmer and reduce for about an hour.
- Remove from heat, let it cool to room temperature. Strain the apple slices and ginger root from the syrup and store the cooled simple syrup in a jar. The simple syrup can be refrigerated for months.
Make the Apple Ginger Cape Cod Cocktail
- In a tall glass filled with ice, pour a splash of the apple ginger simple syrup, vodka, apple cider, and apple cranberry juice.
- Garnish with fresh cranberries and apple slices, if desired. Stir and serve!
Leave a Reply