It's finally Fall! And you know that means a ton of apple flavored dishes coming your way. Starting....with this apple cinnamon coffee cake! That is, of course, topped with a buttery cinnamon sugar streusel!!!
Its so easy to make! This cake is full of fresh apple chunks, tons of cinnamon and other seasonal spices. It truly tastes like fall from your first bite! And is perfectly acceptable to eat for both breakfast and dessert, at least I think it is acceptable! How much better does it get??
For more Fall flavored desserts check out: Apple Cheesecake Tart with Almond Shortbread Crust, Cardamom Ginger Apple Pie Filling, Chai Spiced Banana Donuts, Baked Pumpkin Spice Glazed Donuts
So Easy to Make!
What I love about this apple coffee cake is that it is so easy to make!
- Cream together the butter and sugar
- Slowly add in the remaining wet ingredients: egg, vanilla extract, yogurt and all the Fall spices!
- Add in the dry ingredients. (Most recipes require the dry ingredients to be whisked separately but I've found that since I add in the spices with the wet and there's only baking soda and all purpose flour left its not necessary for that additional step.
- Fold in the apple chunks
- Make and top with the buttery, cinnamon sugar streusel.
Here are some easy variations for you if you're looking to customize this apple cinnamon coffee cake:
- Add-ins: If you're looking for more texture, add in chopped nuts or even shredded coconut
- Don't have any apples on hand? Just leave them out, its still an amazing cinnamon coffee cake!
- Or switch out the apples for another fruit! Pears are also delicious in this coffee cake, or try it out with blueberries!
- Don't like those warm spices? Just omit the cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger, and call it an apple coffee cake.
Really you can customize this coffee cake to your preference! Speaking of preference though, the real question is, what do you think this coffee cake is best enjoyed with a piping hot cup of chai or coffee??
Apple Cinnamon Coffee Cake with Streusel Topping
Apple Cinnamon Coffee Cake
- 1 cup apple peeled and diced, I like Granny Smith for this cake
- ½ cup butter softened
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- ½ cup Greek yogurt sour cream can also be used
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg freshly grated
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter cold, cut into small cubes
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Line an 8x8 pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla. Add Greek yogurt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and salt. Mix to combine.
- Add in the baking soda and mix into the batter. Slowly add the flour and mix until just combined. Fold in the apples. Pour into the prepared baking dish, spreading out to the edges.
- In a small bowl combine the remaining, flour, sugar and cinnamon. Cut the butter into small cubes and toss into the flour and sugar mixture. Use a fork or your hands to cut the butter into coarse crumbs. Sprinkle the struesel over the cake batter
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Recipe adapted from Food Network
Leave a Reply